Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Saving a bag of Potatoes

The other day I realized I had almost a 10 pound bag of potatoes that was starting to go bad. I made a batch of scalloped potatoes which the leftovers I froze.

Then I looked on the internet to see if there was a way to freeze potatoes. There were some tips on freezing french fries and hashbrowns. For french fries, wash, peel and cut into strips and either fry part way or bake part way. I put the strips in a plastic bag with some oil and salt until they are all coated. Bake on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees until light brown. Let cool, bag and freeze. When you are ready to use them, finish baking at 425. I tried them and it did work. So I have two gallon bags of french fries instead of throwing them in the garbage. And instead of buying frozen french fries.

For hashbrowns, the tips said to wash, peel and grate the potatoes. Fry until they start browning, then cool, bag and freeze. When ready to use, finish frying like you normally would.

No comments:

Post a Comment