One of my goals for the next month is to post each day of July about a List of 10 dealing with a personal finance or money saving idea topic.
Cooking at home can save money, but if you end up buying ingredients for certain recipes that you will not use often may end up costing you money. You may be able to find substitute ingredients. Also, if you can find substitute ingredients if you run out of items it will save you time and money from needing to make an emergency run to the store.
Here are some ideas of kitchen substitution ideas.
1) http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/soup-or-sauce-sos-mix.html?showComment=1332880493592#c6315300430037895231>Cream soup mix can be made up and kept on hand. It may cost less than buying cream soup by the can.
2) If need an egg for baking you can substitute 1 tsp of cornstarch plus ¼ cup of water.
3) If a recipe calls for buttermilk you can mix 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar with milk (enough to make 1 cup). I have used lemon juice to do this several times. I have also seen the idea that if you buy buttermilk and don’t use the entire carton, freeze the remaining milk in ice cube trays and keep in freezer bags to use at a future time.
4) For tomato soup use 1 cup tomato sauce and ¼ cup water.
5) For 1 cup of cream use 1/3 cup melted butter and ¾ cup milk
6) For 1 cup corn syrup use 2/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water
7) For 1 cup honey, use 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup water
8) In salad dressings mayonnaise can be replaced by sour cream, plain yogurt or pureed cottage cheese.
9) In place of sour cream use plain yogurt.
10) To make tomato juice combine ½ cup tomato sauce and ½ cup water.
Click here for previous posts.